Saturday, August 5th--
WE FINISHED PACKING THE TRAILER! For some reason, I thought it was going to be easier to pack and harder (emotionally) to move away from our friends. It turned out to be the opposite (not to say that I didn't cry about leaving though). It was a job and a half packing everything we owned to move half way across the nation, and we both were disgusted by the amount of stuff that comfortably fit into our 446 square foot home.
Sunday, August 5th--
Went to church, enjoyed lunch with the Flickinger's, watered our flower garden one last time and went up to Camp Brotherhood for the Jr. Camp Fiesta kick-off dinner :)
Monday, August 6th--
D-Day. Or "get up and leave day". Or more like "get-woken-up-and-eat-breakfast-with-all-
your-friends-who-came-to-pray-for-you-and-see-you-off-as-you-leave-on-a-2000+-mile-
trip-day". Yes, we had told Robert and Mae "We'd like to leave between 7 and 8 AM" but the night before, we had stayed up, um.... kind of late enjoying their company, so we decided it was more important to sleep enough than to leave "on time". But 6:00 am Monday morning came, and so did Jessica, Alane, Julia, Tristan, Wayne, Cindy and Jenica. Mae and Robert had invited them all to have breakfast with us before we left. At 6:30 am when we still had not emerged from our guest room, Jessica came in and woke us up and Mae took pictures :) After a nice breakfast (which I was too excited to eat very much of) everyone prayed for us and sent us off. Who else do you know that gets too excited (about sitting in a car 24+ hours) to eat her favorite breakfast? We received several cards and gifts and we made ourselves wait until we got to I-90 to open/read them. We left at about 8:20 am and drove through Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Utah, Wyoming and finally into Colorado.
Tuesday, August 7th-- Mae and Robert loaded us up with lots of good food, so we didn't even want to stop for food until early Tuesday morning when we stopped at a Wendy's in Wyoming for breakfast (and enjoyed the sunrise).
Wednesday, August 8th-- Spent the day with Grandma R. Brian and I went into town and got the oil changed in our car and sent some postcards and hung out in the grocery store (enjoying their air conditioner) while waiting for the car to get finished. When we got back to the farm, Grandma sent Brian out to the mower shed to check out a snake she found to see if it was a bull snake or a rattle snake.
Thursday, August 9th-- Now is when I should explain that losing a night of sleep really messed us up for figuring out what day it was. Brian's grandma asked me if I had any laundry I wanted to wash, and I said that I didn't have very much to wash, and would wait until Thursday to wash it. And then she had to inform me that it was Thursday. Everyday feels like Saturday right now :) When I got up, Brian and Grandma were rather distracted by a stray horse in the yard.
Something else about Colorado. There are these little things called "goat heads" (aka. thorny goatheads, prickers, tack burrs etc...) So I went to go stand next to a sunflower (get a good perspective shot ya know) and started feeling sharp little poky things all down on the sides of my feet. I think they should also be called attack burrs. Anyway, Brian (wearing his shoes rescued me and carried me the 3 feet I had walked out of the goatheads and back onto the dirt where girls wearing flip flops belong) and I could pick/scrape the rest of the sharp little buggers out of my flip flops without acquiring anymore every time I set my foot down. That was my adventure of the day :) We had dinner with Grandma Nelson and then went over to Laura and Steven's house (Brian's sister and brother-in-law) and had a blast on the trampoline with Stephanie (4) and Jennifer (2), relaxed in their hot tub and stayed up really late talking with Laura.
Friday, August 10th-- This morning we cleaned out the gutters at Grandma Nelson's house. They weren't that dirty, so it didn't take us very long, but it was a fun project to work on together.
Saturday, August 11th-- Which brings us up today. We are planning on visiting Focus on the Family with Laura, maybe doing some shopping. After we sleep.
This is our schedule (Lord Willing) for the rest of our travel time.
Sunday, August 12th-- Go to church with Laura's family, drive back to Wiggins in the afternoon and spend the night at Grandma R's.
Monday, August 13th-- Hook up the trailer and drive to Salina, Kansas (app. 6 hours). Spend the night with Brian's Aunt Linda
Tuesday, August 14th-- Drive to Roach Missouri! (app. 5 hours)
1 comment:
Hi Brian and Jocelyn,
I'm glad the trip is going so well.
Dad
Post a Comment