Friday, October 05, 2007

One man's junk is another man's treasure

Yesterday, I went to the junk heap. I had seen in before in passing, but I wanted to see what was in it. Here on campus they buy any materials they need and do all the upkeep themselves. Because of this, there is a large area devoted to old things that might get used sometime so they wont have to buy it. In the same place there is a bicycle graveyard and this is the junk heap that I went to.

I thought that I might find something useful there, so I took a pair of pliers, an adjustable wrench and two screwdrivers. The selection was not disappointing. After much looking, I selected a frame that had a nice chain which I thought would work well. This particular frame still had the seat and handlebars attached, so I had a good head start. Finding tires was a little harder because most of them were rotted or would not hold air. I had to try a few before I found two which would hold any air for a reasonable amount of time. After putting the tires on, I had to hook up the brakes. Thankfully the cables were still there, but the front brake cable was cut, so I could only hook up the back brake.

This is what I ended up with. It still needs a lot of work, but it does function.

1 comment:

Mary Richardson said...

bri, you're such a crazy wookibellygood! I'm impressed!