For the last few weeks Jocelyn and I have been helping to build a little cabin out in the woods. I was able to do some digging to make an outhouse and we both got to use a chainsaw. The walls and most of all the wood used to make the cabin were cedar logs cut freehand with the chainsaw, but we were able to use a jig to make nice planks for the floor. Half of the floor is covered with flagstone and the other half is a raised floor.
We were very dusty after cutting the planks.
After the cabin was mostly finished, the two guys who started the project moved in and stayed there for a week. While they were out there, we set up the bucket shower system and built the outhouse. After they were done, Jocelyn and I stayed there for a week. We canoed to class every day and canoed up the stream to get wash water. It was a good experience for us. I thought it would be pretty easy, but we had to work together to get anything done. Here are some pictures.
Here is the outhouse all finished.
The cabin after it was finished.While we were building the cabin, a bird built it's nest in the rafters, and while Jocelyn and I were living there, the eggs hatched and we got to see the mom and dad bird come bringing food all day long. They work pretty hard!
Our little winged friend.
One night while we were out there, we were awakened by a strange chomping noise. Out in the dark, many things pop into one's mind about what it might be and that it might want to be chomping on you next, but it was just a hungry little possum eating our garbage. I got a shovel and shooed it out the door.
No comments:
Post a Comment