What do you get when you put 47 permission slips, 36 chocolate crunch bars, 27 orange bracelets, 5 vehicles and the sky valley bible church youth group together and leave town? Well, naturally a bit of disorganization and chaos, but that would be true even with several of the variables changed. This combination is also true, but a bit more sane--one of the guys in the youth group summed it up a bit better. "4,000 youth. 2 days. One God."
A couple weeks ago our youth group went to the Dare2Share youth conference in Redmond. There were over 4,000 other youth and youth leaders there from mostly Washington, but also Canada, Oregon and even Texas. I saw one of my bus-driver friends (Danielle P.!) from Bible school that I hadn't seen in 2 years (she lives in Oregon), and an Awana Camp counselor I hadn't seen in 5 years, so that was a pretty fun way to start the conference off. Friday night there was worship led by Starfield, some interactive teaching, and a drama that was the highlight of the weekend for a lot of the youth (and leaders). The girls drove back to Monroe to spend the night at Mrs. Smith's house and the guys slept at Ryan's. We were all on the road headed back to Redmond shortly after 7:00 am on Saturday morning. Saturday was full of more interactive teaching, more cool worship, a 3 hour period in the afternoon where we got to go door to door collecting canned goods for a local food bank and using the opportunity to pray for people or share the gospel. In the evening, there was a Superchic[k] concert and evangelism challenge.
So what is the answer to that equation at the beginning of this blog? ("What did we get...?")
Well, we collected just over 9 tons of food for a local food bank. All 27 of us heard the gospel loud and clear. We memorized the GOSPEL acronym. We were equipped, refreshed and re-energized to share the gospel with our friends that don't know Jesus and are bound for hell. I have been motivated, convicted, inspired, challenged and responsive to the things I heard and saw at Dare2Share. I hope the drama sticks in my mind and makes me uncomfortable every time I try to justify not wanting to talk to a stranger or an unsaved person about Jesus. We were dared to share our faith (literally :) Some of us already have. Some of us are still trying to.
I'm a fire/I'm a flood/I'm a revolution
I am a war/Already won/I'm a revolution
"Revolution"-- Starfield
God's already got the war won. We don't have to wonder how it's going to come out in the end. Seriously then-- what do we have to lose? Ummmm.... our pride maybe? And like we really need to hang onto that. So anyway. It was an awesome weekend. I've been dared 2 share. I hope and pray that evangelism does not become an event in my life, but my lifestyle.
--Jocelyn<><
Sunday, March 25, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
YEAH D2S! That conference rocks, doesn't it?! It's awesome to be challenged, and to know that all of those youth are getting a clear gospel presentation!
Guess what? My dad taught Greg Stier in his youth group!
Nice blog!
Post a Comment