There was a bunch of junk floating around in the slip, so I grabbed everything and threw it in the fishing room so that it wouldn't blow away. Arlan showed up after a few minutes and we decided that we would need some come-alongs (the cables with hooks on the end and a ratchet in the middle to tighten it up) to pull the boat up enough to bail it out. Thankfully the boat was still tied at the front, or it would have been a much bigger job. I went and got the come-alongs and Arlan had some other work to do, so I worked on it for a while by myself, but didn't really get anywhere. The problem was I didn't have any hooks to get down there far enough and the come-alongs were too short. Arlan was able to come back and help again, and he suggested trying to get the front of the boat up on the dock a ways and then pull up on the sides slowly.
So we hooked onto one of the dock posts and grabbed the front of the boat and cinched it up.
Once we got it pulled up a ways, we tied it there with a few ropes and then took the come along and hooked the side of the boat near the back. We used the rafters to hook onto and then fished the other end down in the water until it grabbed something. We were just hoping that it would hold until we could get it up high enough to bail. It started to pull it to the side, so we did the same thing on the other side to keep it straight and then we cinched both sides up at the same time until the back end was out a little bit.
Once we got it to that point, we both got buckets and bailed until most of the water was out of the boat. We took off the ropes on the front and let it slide back until it was floating again, and then we bailed out the rest of the water and turned on the bilge pump. By this time it was snowing pretty good, so it was miserable, but we rejoiced that it was up again. Little did I know this was just the beginning!
An outboard motor will rust very quickly if water gets into it, so you have to get it running as soon as possible. Arlan had to go back to work, and I thought it would be pretty easy to get it running again. Since the gas tanks had been in the water, I went up to the gas station and got some new gas and oil. By the time I got back most everything was frozen already, including the key hole. It took about 5 minutes of breathing on the key hole to even get the key in, and then I realized that the motor was freezing and it would not turn over. By this time I was getting a little panicked, so I went over and found Arlan again and he didn't really have any good ideas either. We both knew that we needed to get the boat into the shop, but we had no idea how.
The predicament was that during the winter, the Lake of the Ozarks is down a few feet. This makes it difficult to get a boat in or out. Since the motor wasn't working, we would have to tow it or try and row it, and the wind was blowing really hard. It actually blew so hard that the dock on the other side of the lake was torn off on one side and a large section on the dock on our side was bent back and threatening to tear off completely.
The only other boat in the water at the time was a very small boat and it would be hard to steer it in the wind and towing a bigger boat behind. Even if we could get it somewhere, there really wasn't any way to get a trailer down to the water with out a big tractor and it would tear up the bank a lot.
The wind died down a little, so we decided to try and row the boat, so a guy from the mechanic garage on campus came with us to help row. Arlan drove to the other side while we rowed so that we could throw the rope to him. It ended up working very well and we got up really close to the point (a piece of land that sticks out into the cove which has been built up with rocks around the edge). I climbed up and got the boat tied off.
Because the dock on that side had broken off, there was a massive forklift there to hold it in place. Our only option was to put a sling under the boat and borrow the forklift to lift it up and then take it to the trailer and let it down. The problem was all the operators were busy and it looked like the boat would just sit there over night. Just around the time everyone needed to go, they decided that it wouldn't take long to get it up. So Arlan and the guy from the shop put two big ropes under the boat to form a sling and hooked it up to the forklift. While they were doing that, I went and got the trailer. By the time I got the trailer over there, they already had it up and he brought it over closer to the trailer, but the machine operator was late for a meeting, so he left. Another machine operator came over and drove the forklift over to the trailer and put it on there. It was pretty amazing.
After we got it on the trailer, I took it over to the shop and worked on it until 9:30 pm. Needless to say it was a long tiring day. I didn't get it working that night, so Wednesday at lunch I took it to the Marina down the road so they could fix it up and get the engine all "pickeled" (cleaned out, flushed and coated with fogging oil on the inside). I picked up the boat today and everything is working well. I hope that never happens again!
Many thanks to:
-Arlan Tiegs for helping me the whole way along and moral support
-John Hagen for staying late and lifting the boat out of the water
-Tom Robinson for coming at the end even when he already had plans and finishing with the forklift
-The guy from the shop who I don't even know for helping out
-Joe Bruce for helping me in the shop trying to start it
-Everyone else who helped with information and encouragement
More pictures can be found on our website: http://www.brianjocelyn.com

